Friday, June 29, 2012

You're Beautiful Review

So. Much. Pretty.


  I know it's kdrama blasphemy, but I hated You're Beautiful. This isn't an unusual response from me with things other girls typically love. For instance, I also hate Jane Eyre and Little Women with a passion, something my usually like-minded friends just can't grasp. When I first started watching kdramas, I found it intriguing that heroines weren't always smart/pretty (see Mischievous Kiss), but I found Go Mi Nyeo to be absolutely mind-boggling, and I swear my IQ dropped just watching her. The only things she had going for her were her ability to sing and her crush on Hwang Tae Kyung. My feminism hurts just thinking that loving a guy is the main thing that defines this woman.



  I know, I know, that's not what the drama or the Hong Sisters are trying to convey, but that's the meaning I took from it. I also frequently struggle with the whole "I'm mean to you because I like you" aspect so prevalent in asian dramas. It may happen on occasion in real life, and I can handle it in moderation, but it's just so immature and weak as a driving plot point.
  It also probably didn't help that I tried watching this shortly after finishing Coffee Prince. Yoon Eun Hye was just so much more convincing than Park Shin Hye at portraying a woman who passed herself off as a man. I also watched Ikemen Desu Ne (the Japanese remake) first and found it more enjoyable and easier to watch than You're Beautiful. The fact that it had fewer episodes also made it easier for me to watch. Even when my attention flagged, I was able to tell myself that I was almost done, something I just couldn't pull off with You're Beautiful.
  I realize many fans have many reasons they like this show, and those reasons are all valid. If you liked because it struck a chord with you, or perfectly suits your tastes, or because you fantasized the whole time about Jang Geun Suk, Jung Yong Hwa, or Lee Hong Ki (who didn't?), or for any other reason, that's great for you, and an awesome reason to like it. It just didn't work for me.
  Overall rating: 3 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment